Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I'm back and still trying to be green!

I'm back and yes I'm still trying to be green as ever! One thing I've done since posting forever ago is to start using products that are paraben free. I've only switched to a couple so far but as I run out of the old stuff I'll keep switching over. After reading this I'll definetly switch over to a new shampoo after mine is gone. Also tonight I'm going to the farmers market to buy local!


Sodium laureth sulfate (SLS): The agent that makes products like shampoo, soap, detergent, and toothpaste foamy. Though the oft-touted link between sodium laureth sulfate and cancer may or may not be solid, there’s more to the picture. SLS is a package deal with a chemical called 1,4-Dioxane, a probable human carcinogen and a skin and lung irritant that is suspected to cause birth defects and kidney and nervous-system damage.

Because 1,4-Dioxane is an impurity, not an intentional ingredient, it doesn’t appear on ingredient labels. So watch out for SLS, as well as other petrochemical ingredients like “PEG,” “polyethylene,” “polyethylene glycol,” “polyoxyethylene,” and anything that includes an “eth,” “oxynol,” “ceteareth,” or “oleth.” And learn to disassociate “foamy” from clean.

No comments: